At the Foundation’s first Board meeting in Hong Kong in May 2018, the Board discussed and decided on new vision and mission statements for the Foundation:
- Vision: To have a global, open, stable and secure Internet that is affordable and accessible to the entire Asia Pacific community.
- Mission: To increase investment in Internet development in the Asia Pacific region, through education and training, human capacity building, community development, research, and related projects and activities.
These statements share many of the goals and objectives of APNIC’s vision and mission statements, reflecting the key role the Foundation plays in supporting the development work of APNIC.
Incorporated in Hong Kong in September 2016, the Foundation was first discussed by the APNIC Executive Council (EC) in 2014, when it set out to explore a mechanism to support and expand the APNIC Development Program. The EC wanted to do this by raising funds, independent from APNIC membership contributions, to support regional Internet development efforts in the future.
Projects and activities funded by the Foundation are designed and managed by APNIC, in collaboration with funding partners interested in Internet development. These activities are implemented by APNIC and our partners, which include a growing group of community trainers and technical advisors, and other like-minded organizations.
The Foundation is guided by an independent Board of Directors – selected by the APNIC EC – that includes recognized and respected experts from the Asia Pacific Internet community. The Foundation’s staff are based in the APNIC office in Brisbane, Australia.
The Foundation welcomes support from, and collaboration with, other foundations, agencies and organizations working to develop the Internet in the Asia Pacific.
APNIC – A Respected and Recognized Partner
With more than 13,000 direct and indirect Members in almost every economy of the Asia Pacific, APNIC has spent over 20 years supporting the Internet to serve the region’s 3 billion citizens. Many of its 80-plus staff travel regularly in the region to support Members, provide training and technical assistance, or share expertise and information. APNIC also partners with many organizations through MoUs, sponsorships and informally to support the continuing development of the Internet.
APNIC’s success in partnering and seeking financial support for its activities is founded on five important assets:
- A strong technical focus and regional recognition as a source of best practice and expertise.
- Neutrality and independence from any particular vendors, services, or technologies.
- A non-profit organization with financial strength and transparency.
- Robust regional networks and relationships.
- Long track record of successful management and implementation.
The APNIC Foundation builds on and supports these strengths and APNIC’s strong history of success in training and community development.
APNIC development partners have included the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT); Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC); the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida); the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA); the World Bank; the United Nations’ International Telecommunications Union (ITU), the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the DotAsia Organization, and the Internet Society.
Download APNIC Foundation brochure